Sunscreen Sunblock Review: Bare Minerals 25 SPF Veil

Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 25 Mineral Veil

I really liked the idea of this powder, but it didn't work for me. Because it’s a finishing veil, it’s finely milled and supposed to hide flaws. Although it looked flawless when I first applied it, it quickly settled into every line and accentuated them.

When I looked into my rear view mirror on the way to work the 2nd day I wore it, I gasped with horror!
Make sure you check this in different lighting and at different times after application.

Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 14.4%, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Corn Starch Modified, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Magnesium Stearate. MAY CONTAIN: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

PROS:
  • Covers the shine from my physical sunblock lotion
  • Augments my sunblock lotion with additional sun protection
  • Powder which I need anyway to minimize the shine from my sunblock lotion
  • Physical, not chemical-based sunblock or sunscreen
  • SPF is 25+ which is high for a powder
  • Two shades to choose from : sheer and tinted (sheer is just a bit pink; I didn’t try the other one)
  • Free of Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Fragrances, Synthetic Dyes, Petro-Chemicals, and Phthalates
  • The new packaging has a lock that keeps the powder from sifting out if it rolls around in my bag
CONS:
  • EWG rating of 7, which is bad, but I didn't understand that rating since the individual ingredients received no higher than a 3; however, I believe because the sunblock is in a powder form, there is a high probability that one may inhale it, which can be carcinogenic
  • Accentuates too many flaws for my mature skin (may look good on younger skin)
  • Feels dry, even on top of my sunblock lotion
  • Leaves a white cast; the tinted option may not do this
  • It’s expensive at $15 for 6 grams, but if it looked good, I’d be willing to part with that cash for the extra sun protection!
Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 25 Mineral Veil

No comments:

Post a Comment